The Evinston Community Store and Post Office was originally built in 1884 of heart pine as a warehouse.The post office, extablished in 1882, was later moved into the building after it became a store. It is one of the few remaining country store - post offices.
The building was moved 100 feet south to its current location at 18320 SE Alachua County Road 225, in 1956 becaue of road paving.
The neighborhood of La Boca in Buenos Aires, Argentina is known for its colorful buildings. The tradition started because the residents couldn"t afford to buy paint to paint their houses and stores, but they were allowed to take whatever paint was left after a ship was painted in the local shipyards. Free paint, but they didn't get to choose the color. Sometimes there wasn't enough of one color to paint a whole building so you ended up with multiple hues. Then the Artists got involved.
The Tybee Island lighthouse is the oldest and tallest in Georgia. Located at the mouth of the Savannah River, it is open to the public with an observation platform that is 154' above ground. The bottom 60' were finished in 1773 and the top 94' in 1867. The walls at the base are 12' thick tapering to about 18" at the top.
Still using the original almost 8' tall fresnel lens, this 30,000 candlepower light can be seen 18 miles at sea.