Lighthouses

Pictures of lighthouses from around the United States and information about them. Browse the images below.

 

From Georgia there is the Tybee Island Lighthouse and from South Carolina the Hunting Islande Lighthouse. There are eight Florida lighthouses: the Cape St. George Light, Cape San Blas Lighthouse, Egmont Key Lighthouse, Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, St. Augustine Lighthouse and the St. Marks Lighthouse.

Amelia Island Lighthouse

The Cumberland Island Lighthouse was built in 1820 but due to changes in the channel of the St. Marys River declared useless by 1838. It was then moved brick by brick to Amerlia Island where it stands today. The Amelia Island Lighthouse, as it is now called, is the oldest standing lighthouse in Florida.

In 2000 the Amelia Island Lighthouse was declared surplus and was sold to Fernandina Beach in 2002.

Click image for full picture.

Hunting Island Lighthouse

The Hunting Island Lighthouse in located on Hunting Island, South Carolina in the Hunting Island state Park. It is one of two made with a segmented cast-iron design in the United States, the other being the Cape Canaveral Iighthouse in Florida. The segments are bolted together and lined with brick for structural strength. This design allows them to be more easily moved when threatened by erosion or other factors.

Click image for full picture.

Tybee Island Light

One of only seven surviving colonial era Lighthouse towers, the Tybee Island Lighthouse was built in 1773 of brick and was 100 feet tall. This third tower was the first one that was lit using reflectors and candles.

Click image for full picture.

Fenced Light

The Hunting Island Lighthouse in located on Hunting Island, South Carolina in the Hunting Island state Park. It is one of two made with a segmented cast-iron design in the United States, the other being the Cape Canaveral Iighthouse in Florida. The segments are bolted together and lined with brick for structural strength. This design allows them to be more easily moved when threatened by erosion or other factors.

Click image for full picture.

Path To The Light

The Hunting Island Lighthouse in located on Hunting Island, South Carolina in the Hunting Island state Park. It is one of two made with a segmented cast-iron design in the United States, the other being the Cape Canaveral Iighthouse in Florida. The segments are bolted together and lined with brick for structural strength. This design allows them to be more easily moved when threatened by erosion or other factors.

Click image for full picture.

Tybee Island Lighthouse

One of only seven surviving colonial era Lighthouse towers, the Tybee Island Lighthouse was built in 1773 of brick and was 100 feet tall. This third tower was the first one that was lit using reflectors and candles.

Click image for full picture.

Hunting Island Light

The Hunting Island Lighthouse in located on Hunting Island, South Carolina in the Hunting Island state Park. It is one of two made with a segmented cast-iron design in the United States, the other being the Cape Canaveral Iighthouse in Florida. The segments are bolted together and lined with brick for structural strength. This design allows them to be more easily moved when threatened by erosion or other factors.

Click image for full picture.

St. Marks Lighthouse

The St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge was extablished in 1931 for migratory birds and covers parts of three Florida counties, Jefferson, Taylor, and Wakulla. It stretches along 43 miles of the Gulf Coast of northwest Florida, encompassing over 70,000 acres. It consists of coastal marsh, islands, tidal creeks and the estruaries of seven Florida rivers.

It is also the home of the St. Marks lighthouse. established in its current location since 1842, and still in use today. The lighthouse was originallhy built in 1831 and moved to its current location in 1842 because of erosion. It stands 82 feet high.

Click image for full picture.

St. Augustine Lighthouse

Originally constructed of coquina rock in 1824, the "Old Spanish Watchtower" was threatened by erosion by the 1870;s. It was rebuilt with brick and iron on its present site in 1874 and the old structure collapsed in 1880.

It stands 165 feet above sea level and still uses the original Fresnel lens. This first order Fresnel lens is powered by a 1,000 watt bulb

Click image for full picture.

Cape St. George Light

The Cape St. George Light was built in 1833 to 65 feet, rebuilt in 1848 to 75 feet and rebuilt again in 1852 on Little St. George Island. It collapsed into the Gulf of Mexico on October 21, 2005, secumbing to erosion and waves.

It was reconstructed with as much of the original material, using the original plans, on its current site on St. George Island and opened to the public on December 1, 2008.

Click image for full picture.

Lighthouse Across The Marsh

The St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1931 for migratory birds and covers parts of three Florida counties, Jefferson, Taylor, and Wakulla. It stretches along 43 miles of the Gulf Coast of northwest Florida, encompassing over 70,000 acres. It consists of coastal marsh, islands, tidal creeks and the estuaries of seven Florida rivers.

It is also the home of the St. Marks lighthouse. established in its current location since 1842, and still in use today. The lighthouse was originally built in 1831 and moved to its current location in 1842 because of erosion. It stands 82 feet high.

Click image for full picture.

St. Marks Lighthouse BW

The St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge was extablished in 1931 for migratory birds and covers parts of three Florida counties, Jefferson, Taylor, and Wakulla. It stretches along 43 miles of the Gulf Coast of northwest Florida, encompassing over 70,000 acres. It consists of coastal marsh, islands, tidal creeks and the estruaries of seven Florida rivers.

It is also the home of the St. Marks lighthouse. established in its current location since 1842, and still in use today. The lighthouse was originallhy built in 1831 and moved to its current location in 1842 because of erosion. It stands 82 feet high.

Click image for full picture.